2 March 2003

Noa's concert in Philadelphia (USA)


Noa's concert in Philadelphia, PA, USA March 2nd
by Erika Miller through Noa's Music eGroup
I just returned home from my first Noa concertin the Philadelphia area. Needless to say, it was virtually flawless. Noa, Gil and Zohar are all virtuosic in their own rights. As a singer who discovered Noa at an early stage of my vocal development I was tickled to hear all of the little vocal nuances and techniques that I inadvertantly stole from Noa and surreptiously added to my vocal repertoire. My college vocal jazz audition included a noa-esque version of Imagination. Although I was never able to attend a Noa concert (before tonight) I have been a disciple since an early high school visit to Isreal where I happened across the first live album. I was greatly impressed at Noa's percussion skills. It is lovely to see a rounded musician perform versus a solo singer. Gil's composition, Panama, was a wonderful amalgamation of jazz and spanish elements with a wicked percussion solo (thank you Zohar)! Noa is a massively gracious performer. She is dignity and unassuming grace personified. Th chosen repertoire for the evenings (too short) performance was vastly appropriate. Instead of simply performing a set of songs from the new album they chose a wonderful collection of old favorites including about half of the new album. All of my favorites, of course. I was charmed to see a quick glimpse of Ayele and Noa's NY family.

The venue (a synagogue) was an interesting setting holding approximately 1000 people, very intimate, and somehow beautifully appropriate with a gorgeous mosaic softly lit behind the stage. I guess that my only complaint would be the cost of a ticket. 36 dollars US. Expensive to my frail budget, but for Noa still genuinely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment